Subscribers

Blog Archive

Friday, October 8, 2010

Short Script #3 - Soulless

INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

A man gets ready for work. Doing up his tie; loosening his belt one notch because it looks too tight, tying his laces on his black dress shoes.

He looks at himself in the mirror, trying to get his swoop just right. He is DANIEL WITHERS: balding, aging, door to door salesman who lives a life of quiet desperation selling vitamins. He checks his briefcase to count the bottles one last time before he walks out the door.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER)
I am so lonely. I can’t seem to make a connection
with anybody. I didn’t have this problem when I was a
young. I wish I was a child again.

EXT. DOORWAY - DAY

The door opens up and Daniel stands politely in the doorway.

DANIEL
Good morning ma’am. How are you doing today?

EXT. DOORWAY #2

DANIEL
My name is Daniel Withers,...

EXT. DOORWAY #3

DANIEL
...and I represent Hubbard Vitamins,...

EXT. DOORWAY

DANIEL
...have you heard of us before?..

EXT. DOORWAY #3

The door slams in Daniel’s face.

EXT. DOORWAY #2

And another door slams in Daniels’s face.

EXT. DOORWAY

And another door slams in Daniel’s face.

INT. SUBWAY RESTROOM

Daniel looks at himself in the mirror. Deep into his own soul. Notices his hair is unruly. And takes precise measures to put it back in place.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER)
I hate my hair. I wish I could keep it combed
all the time. I’m so jealous of people with perfect hair.

A guy with perfect hair walks up to the mirror, flicks his hair once and walks off. Daniels eyes narrow.

EXT. SUBWAY STATION ENTRANCE/EXIT

Daniel walks out the doors and moves with the crowd into the street.

INT. BUS

Daniel sits in a post work trance in the back of the bus. A GUY sits next to him chatting away. Every so often Daniel nods.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER)
It’s funny that even though I’m so lonely I hate people.
In 38 years I’ve yet to meet anyone I’ve wanted to
spend more then a ten minute bus ride with.
And usually I can’t stand even that long.

INT. DANIEL’S FRONT ENTERANCE

Daniel walks up the drive to his house and spies a long rectangular box left by the mailman. This gets him excited as he unlocks his door and enters with the package.

DANIEL
Finally!

INT. DANIEL’S KITCHEN - NIGHT

Daniel closes the microwave and punches in the time. The unit lights up and hums.


INT. DANIEL’S DINING AREA - NIGHT

He reaches in and lights candles with a match. The microwave beeps its completion.

INT. DANIEL’S DINING AREA - LATER

DANIEL (VOICE OVER)
When I was a boy there were times I was so happy
I would cry. (pause)
I really think I’ve found exactly what I need.

Daniel sits at the end of the table. He swirls his glass of wine above his finished dinner in a box. Music lingers.

DANIEL
That was lovely. (beat)
You look so beautiful tonight.

At the other end of the table sits a motionless woman.

DANIEL
Well, thank you. But I didn’t give you a
compliment only to get one back.

Daniel smiles. And it’s different. He takes a sip of his wine and listens to the light music that is playing in the background.

DANIEL
May I have this dance?

He smiles and gets up.

MONTAGE SEQUENCE.

INT. DANIEL’S BEDROOM

Daniel undoes his tie.
Daniel runs his fingers through her hair.
The woman’s dress is thrown across the room and lands on the box Daniel carried earlier. The box reads ‘...NYOMI’S LEFT LEG...’
Daniel slows his dancing down. He looks into her eyes, and moves in for a deep kiss.
Daniel’s hand slowly moves up her body. Feeling every curve.
His lips gently press against hers. He pulls away.

END MONTAGE

DANIEL
Nyomi, you make me so happy. I
couldn’t ask for more in a woman.

Her lifeless eyes stare straight ahead. She is a MANNEQUIN.

DANIEL
You are so damn beautiful.

He moves in for another kiss. His hands move around her. His body thrusts into hers.

FADE OUT.

INT. DANIEL’S BEDROOM - MORNING
Daniel gets ready for work; doing up his tie, loosening his belt one notch because it looks too tight, tying his laces on his black dress shoes.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER)
I truly envy her. She always looks great. She
doesn’t have to work or deal with people and
all her needs are taken care of. (pause) Like a child.

He looks at himself in the mirror, trying to get his swoop just right.
In the mirror he sees Nyomi sitting in bed gazing back at him.

DANIEL
See ya tonight, honey.

INT. WORK WAITING ROOM - DAY

Many workers wait in line. All with briefcases in their right hand. A bell dings and an arrow points to the right. The woman in the front of the line moves to the open stall. The line steps forward with its left foot. Daniel is second in line. His fingers tap on the cases’ handle. He glances at his watch, impatient to get home.
The bell dings and the person in front of him steps forward. The line follows.
The bell dings and Daniel steps forward.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER)
I hate my job. I could get another one I suppose…
But I hate looking for work even more then I hate my job.

INT. WORK WAITING ROOM - MOMENTS LATER

The woman behind the thick glass pulls cash from her drawer. Her name is AURORA.

AURORA
20, 40, 60, 80, three, 20, 40, 60.

She pushes the cash under the glass.

AURORA
Another good day. You had a great week
Daniel.

Daniel grins at her.

DANIEL
Yes I did.

He turns to walk off. The bell dings and the arrow lights up.

INT. HALLWAY - DAY

Daniel walks down the hallway.

Five of the other workers stand huddled off to the side. BEN sees Daniel walk by.

BEN
Hey Daniel. Daniel!

Daniel stops, pulled out of his action. Ben comes over to him.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER)
Oh hell, not Ben Romano.

BEN
Hey. Heard about your great week.

DANIEL
Yes.

BEN
Why don’t you come out for a beer or
two with me and the boys.

Ben points to the other men. Daniel looks at them.

DANIEL
Well, I gotta…

The others are all talking. TED, one of the suits, looks over to Daniel and Ben and waves to Daniel to come along.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER)
Say no Dan. Say no Dan. Christ, say no.


DANIEL
Sure.

INT. DANIEL’S FRONT ENTERANCE - NIGHT

The sound of keys jingling and being dropped. Mumbled curses.
The front door opens with a crash. Daniel comes stumbling in dropping his keys and brief case. He makes his way back to the door and slams it shuts. He tries taking his clothes off.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER)
Well that was fun. I spent a hundred dollars to get
sick to my stomach, hang out with guys I hate
seeing during work, listen to noise they call
music that may have made me deaf and deal
with women who won’t give me the time of day.

Turning around he’s startled to see Nyomi.

DANIEL
(Gasp) Christ, you startled me. Sorry I’m late,
but I was out drinking with the guys and…

He looks past Nyomi and sees a beautiful candle lit meal on the table. But the candles have burned out and the food is obviously cold.

DANIEL
(Ashamed) Did you make a…? But I didn’t…?
The guys were…

Nyomi stares silently.

DANIEL
I’m sorry.

Beat.

NYOMI (O.S.)
Next time call.

Daniel is left alone listening to footsteps walk away. The bedroom door closes.
Daniel sits heavily on the sofa.

DANIEL
Oh god am I drunk.

INT. DANIEL’S FRONT ENTERANCE - NEXT MORNING

Daniel wakes on the sofa. There is no evidence of a meal on the table.
He stands, head aching and heads for the bedroom.

INT. DANIELS BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS

Nyomi sits in bed in the same position we last saw her. He notices the clock beside her.

DANIEL
Oh! I’m late. Very late. Very very late.

Daniel rushes from the room.

INT. OFFICE - DAY

At the end of the isle a door remains closed. Light glows from the glass window next to it, outlining Daniel’s back sitting in a chair. In front of him is his boss, MR. MARCELLINO, a burly iconic Mafioso type. He is leaning forward with his arms resting on his desk, crossed.

MR. MARCELLINO
(soft spoken; calming) Is this the type behavior we should
be expecting from you now? You have a good week and
suddenly you can make your own hours? (beat)
We want people that respect themselves. Want to work and
make money. If you’re making money. Then we’re making
money. It’s a win-win situation.(beat) Three hours
late for work without a phone call is unacceptable.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER IN THE MIDDLE OF SPEECH)
This sucks. Maybe I should quit. I don’t really need the
money. The house is paid for and mom and
dad left me enough to retire on.

DANIEL
I know. I’m sorry.

Mr. Marcellino sits back in his chair and turns 45 degrees to the side.

MR. MARCELLINO
I know you’ve been doing well lately, but we can
not have this sort of thing continuing. That will be all.
Have a good weekend Withers.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER IN THE MIDDLE)
God I wish he would just shut his fat ass up.

DANIEL
Yes, sir.

Daniel gets up and moves to shake his hand. Mr. Marcellino has already turned his chair to look out his window. Daniel turns to the door.

EXT. STREET - DAY

Daniel waits for the bus, thinking. He sees a wine store and makes a decision.

INT. DANIEL’S DINING AREA - LATER

Daniel sits across from Nyomi. His dinner is finished and he’s drinking the wine he purchased near the bus stop. It’s practically empty.

DANIEL
I’m so sorry about last night Nyomi. You might not
believe this, but I’ve never been the most popular fellow.
When the guys asked me to go out with them, I kinda..
Well. What can I say, I thought it’d be fun. (pause) But the
truth is, I hate all that. I really had a terrible time and
all I wanted last night was to be with you. Can you
forgive me? Let’s enjoy the weekend together.

Daniel reaches across the table and takes Nyomi’s hand.


LONG SHOT

Daniel and Nyomi seated very still at the table in exactly the same position holding hands.

CLOSE UP - THEIR LINKED HANDS

Both are MANIQUIN HANDS.

LONG SHOT

Both are completely still, not moving a muscle.

NYOMI
I love you Daniel.

DANIEL
I love you too, Nyomi.

INT. DANIEL’S BEDROOM - MORNING

Daniel and Nyomi lie still together in bed in identical positions.
Nyomi has her MANIQUIN HAND at Daniels mouth and he kisses the fingers gently as they play with his lips.

DANIEL
This is wonderful. I’m so happy I could cry.
(pause) Aren’t you?

NYOMI
Uh-huh.

Daniel CLOSES HIS EYES and the MANIQUINS HAND slowly makes its way down Daniels chest and out of frame. A huge smile crosses Daniels face.

DANIEL
Oh Nyomi.

After a moment the hand comes back up and now it a REAL HAND. It makes its way to Daniels head.

DANIEL
(pouting) Why did you stop?

The hand begins stroking his hair.

DANIEL
Mmmm. That’s nice.

Nyomi has her hand on his head, fingers hiding all his sparse hair behind them.

NYOMI
That looks much better. Don’t you think?

Daniel opens his eyes and peers at the mirror by the bed.

DANIEL
What do you mean? (beat) You think I
should shave my head?

NYOMI
Mmmm. That’d be sexy.

Nyomi’s hand leaves his scalp and trails lovingly down him face. Daniels eyes close.

INT. DANIEL’S BATHROOM - NIGHT

Nyomi’s hand smooths out the shaving cream on Daniel’s head. Then she runs a razor in a line across it. They laugh together.

EXT. DOORWAY - DAY

The door opens up and Daniel stands politely in the doorway. Bald.

DANIEL
Good morning ma’am. I’m Daniel Withers.
I represent Hubbard Vitamins,...

INT. DOORWAY

A late 30 something woman stands at the door with that expression we reserve for door to door salespeople.

INT. WOMANS KITCHEN

The woman sits across from Daniel at her table, politely listening to his presentation. The bottles are out on the table.

DANIEL
This one here is what you need. It’s specifically for
women going into their thirties.

WOMAN
Into their thirties?

DANIEL
Yes. Women your age. I’m sure you know as a woman
approaches thirty her body changes in all sorts of ways.
These vitamins help you stay healthy as you go through
that even all the way into your forties and fifties.
(pause) They’re the real deal… For real people.

The woman smiles more at Daniel then at his spiel.

EXT. DOORWAY

The woman hands Daniel a check and he hands her his card.

DANIEL
If you have anymore questions, please call me anytime.

Daniel walks off, a huge smile on his face.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER)
God I hate this job. (pause) But I like my
shaved head. Don’t have to worry about my
damned hair anymore.

INT. DANIELS APARTMENT - NIGHT

Daniel opens the door to see clothing store bags. All different colors. All from women’s designer stores. He glances into a few, pulling out women’s garments of all kinds. In one bag he finds a bill and literally gasps when he sees the price.
He storms into his bedroom.

INT. DANIEL’S BEDROOM

Nyomi sits in bed as usual.

DANIEL
Did you…? I mean, where did all this…?
How, how? How did…?

Frustrated and confused Daniel turns his back on her and stares out at the packages in the living room. He CLOSES HIS EYES.

Nyomi’s hand slips under Daniels arm and caresses his chest. Her other hand lies on his face. Her blond hair sits on his shoulder.

NYOMI
I needed clothes honey. I only had the one dress.

DANIEL
But…? What…?

NYOMI
These things make me happy. You
want me to be happy, don’t you?

DANIEL
Of course.

NYOMI
I know how to make you happy, Daniel and I
promise you will be happy forever. You have
what it takes to make me happy forever too.
Let me show you how.

DANIEL
Yes Nyomi, yes.

Nyomi’s hand has taken hold of Daniels and she caresses it against his cheek. Her hand is real, his is a MANIQUIN!

Daniels eyes shoot open and he’s about to speak when Nyomi pulls away leaving Daniel in the doorway.

NYOMI
Come to bed. Let us both be happy forever.

And Daniel can’t resist. He goes to her.

INT. BEDROOM - NEXT DAY

Daniel sits up in bed. He is alone and very still. He’s waiting for Nyomi.
The clock ticks.
Time passes
Daniels sits unmoving.
The TV is on.
Time passes
Daniel sits unmoving, an empty tray of food beside him on the bed.
The clock ticks.

INT. BEDROOM - NIGHT

Daniel sits unmoving in the dark. The bedroom door opens and a woman enters, but it’s too dark to see her clearly.

DANIEL
Nyomi? Is that you?

NYOMI
Of course dear. I said I’d be back and
here I am. Is everything alright? Do you need anything?

DANIEL
I’m fine. I miss you.

NYOMI
I miss you too sweetie. (pause) I just came for a
few things.

Nyomi turns on a light and we see that she’s a real young woman. She opens the closet and grabs a suitcase. Then she goes into the bathroom to get things to pack.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER)
Am I pathetic? Is it so wrong to yearn to be free
from my loneliness? Is it strange to prefer missing
something I love to having something I hate? I’ve
given Nyomi what she needs and the truth is,
now she doesn’t need me anymore.

Nyomi comes to Daniels side and looks down at him. She’s smiling radiantly.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER)
And though it seems that she’s taken
everything from me; in reality she’s
given me my greatest wish.

NYOMI
I’ll be back my darling. You don’t have
to worry about anything any more.

DANIEL (VOICE OVER)
She’s given me my childhood back. I’m loved
and everything is taken care of for me forever.
(pause ) I’m so happy I could cry…

Nyomi grabs the suitcase and goes to the door. She turns back at the doorway to give one last look to Daniel who is now just a MANIQUIN lying in the bed… CRYING…

She flips off the light.

If you enjoyed this story PLEASE subscribe to my blog.
Comments are also MOST WELCOME

No comments:

Post a Comment