Subscribers

Blog Archive

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Religious Intolerance In Indiana... And Everywhere Else

Imagine you are a Certified Public Accountant in Los Angeles and it's tax season. Imagine a famous person of some sort (of which there are many in Los Angeles) walks through your door and wants to hire you to do his taxes. Imagine that this person is infamous for being intolerant. It doesn't really matter what this person is intolerant of be it race, religion, gender, age, sexual persuasion, but let's assume that whatever it is, it's a topic that is near to your heart. Maybe he hates blacks and though you're white, your wife is black. Maybe he hates Muslims and your best friend is Muslim. Maybe he hates gays and your kid sister is a Lesbian. Whatever it is, this potential client is completely vile in his hatred. Now imagine this famous person is also wealthy (not a big stretch) and working for him will make you a lot of money. Furthermore, imagine that you feel so strong in your convictions that you refuse to give him the service he desires. You turn him down as a client.

Now imagine that he sues you for discrimination. Then, imagine that you lose this case and therefore lose your license to practice as a CPA, thus creating huge obstacles in your life. Should you truly be punished for standing up for your convictions that not only you, but everyone you know believes in and agrees with?

Finally, imagine the same scenario except that the conviction you feel so strongly about is a religious belief and you feel strong enough about it not to want to serve someone who your god tells you you shouldn't.

You see, in America we have rights. Chief among these rights is the right to religious freedom. It's one of the rights our country was founded upon.
At this point I'd like to make very clear (not that I need to among any who know me, but) though I was brought up Jewish, I don't subscribe to any religion and indeed feel that I am actually ANTI-religious. I feel that ALL religions are inherently evil in nature (and I'm not using evil in any mystical supernatural god-y sort of way).

So, a lot is being made about the Religious Freedom Restoration Act that was signed in Indiana, which by the way is the 20TH STATE to sign in this sort of law since 1994. Indiana's seems to be perhaps the broadest in scope of these. There are many that have even seen the inside of a court room: A police officer in Oklahoma claimed a religious objection when he refused to police a mosque. A photographer in New Mexico used religious freedom as a defense for not serving a lesbian couple in 2013. Another police officer in Salt Lake City cited his "religious liberty" when he refused to police a gay pride parade.

To be honest, my question is, WHO THE HELL CHOSE TO FILE THESE LAWSUITS?

Look, if I went to, say, a restaurant and was refused service because I'm Jewish, or because I'm under six feet tall, or because my eyes are brown, I would not file a discrimination suit. I would go to another restaurant, never return to the one which offended me, and badmouth it every chance I got. Why file suit? So that I can eat there knowing that the only reason I'm allowed is due to a court order? Do I feel winning that sort of case will make the owner of the business respect me and be more tolerant towards others like me? Will I get a petty sense of pride knowing that I put someone who I feel is in the wrong out of business? We in America litigate WAY too much and for reasons we should absolutely not be allowed to! But, that's another article.
On the flip side, let's say I'm that cop who refused to police the Pride Parade and I got fired for it. I sue the force to get my job back citing this law. Well, hey, it's part of my job as a Salt Lake City policeman to patrol any and every place in the city of Salt Lake. If I can't do this duty for whatever reason (religious included) then I'm not fit to serve on the force. End of story. Guess I should have thought about my religion before I swore to serve and protect every person in the city.

In my mind there is a difference between prejudice and intolerance.

Everyone is prejudiced... EVERYONE. There are very few Ghandi-like people in history who (supposedly) love everyone equally and to the utmost. Don't think you're prejudiced? Did you accept every offer for a date that you ever received in your life? Do you consider every person you know an equal friend? EVERYONE DISCRIMINATES. Maybe it makes you feel superior to know that you don't base your discriminations on a certain few criteria, but it makes you no better than those who do.

Everyone is prejudiced.

We cannot expect people to rid themselves of their prejudices. However, in America, we can expect them to rise above their prejudices. Because when they don't, it can lead to intolerance. Intolerance is using your prejudices to attack or deny another of his or her rights.
Perhaps this is where it gets murky. Because, why do you feel you have the right to walk into my business, no matter what that business is, and expect me to serve you? Seriously, why do you feel you have this right? Because I own a business? Aren't you taking away the rights of the business owner? Why do you feel this is ok?
On the other hand, we live in a democracy and let me explain to you what that means: If ONE more person in the country votes a certain way than the opposite, EVERYONE has to abide by that majority's rule. Doesn't matter if you know in your heart that whatever was voted for is right, wrong, or otherwise. We have rules in place to allow more votes in the future, but until more people feel another way (and vote for it), it's the law and we must all abide or suffer the consequences.

Thus, if we voted that to own a business you are legally not allowed to deny anyone service, then that is how you must run your business. That's not a law and I feel it never should be. Hell, if I want to open a business and serve no one, it should be my right. I mean it's not like you HAVE TO BUY from me if I own a business. Why should I HAVE TO SELL to you? I honestly believe if I wanted to place a sign in my store reading, "I do not serve minorities of ANY kind", that should be perfectly legal. I mean, if you saw that sign, why would you want to patronize the place anyway, and if no one did, it would go out of business as quickly as the shop that denied service to everyone.
So how do I feel about the RFRA in Indiana? I feel it SHOULD be unnecessary. I feel large businesses, defined as those with over 500 employees, should probably have to abide by SOME CERTAIN anti-discriminatory laws. Though really, if I own a multi-billion dollar corporation why shouldn't I be allowed to hire those I feel are best equipped to handle the different positions within it as opposed to a certain amount of minorities and handicapped who may not be the most capable or qualified? Or why shouldn't I be allowed to staff it with only my friends whether they're good at the jobs they hold or not. It's my damned company!

As for small businesses, I feel they should be able to hire whomever they choose and serve whomever they please with no fear of a court beyond the court of public opinion whose rulings, as we all know can be just as harsh, fickle, and illogical as those from any Supreme Court...

No comments:

Post a Comment