Subscribers

Blog Archive

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Adaptation Of Neil Gaiman's "Murder Mysteries"

INT. CELL - TIMELESS

The CELL is small, closet like. It's walls look like glowing frosted white glass.
What appears to be a man, stands UNMOVING inside.

The DOOR OPENS and the ANGEL (LUCIFER) appears. Lucifer is radiantly beautiful, male in appearance, and like all angels has WINGS and seems to GLOW FROM WITHIN.

LUCIFER
I am Lucifer, Captain of the Host.
I have been sent to call you into being.
You are Raguel. Vengeance of the Lord.


The NEWLY NAMED (RAGUEL) moves for the first time; bowing his head.

LUCIFER
There has been a... a wrong thing. The first of its
kind. You are needed.


Lucifer turns and exits. Raguel follows.

EXT. CELL - CONTINUOUS

Apparently MILLIONS of these cells are stacked upon each other with the figure of an angel in each one. The one Raguel just left is now empty.

EXT. STREET AT THE EDGE OF THE SILVER CITY - TIMELESS

Lucifer and Raguel land beside the body of a DEAD ANGEL (CARASEL). The body is mostly dark, but there is a tiny bit of ANGEL GLOW within him that falls completely dark by the end of the scene. He lays on his back, a bloody hole is in the middle of his chest.

Beside the street where the three are is a tall building (THE HALL OF BEING) and on the other side is NOTHING. This nothing is referred to as THE DARK or THE DARKNESS.

LUCIFER
You must find who is responsible, and how; and take the
Vengeance of the Name on whosoever caused this
thing to happen. (pause) I have work to attend to.


Lucifer exits.

Raguel begins examining the body from all angles. He bends down and puts his finger in the hole in Carasels chest. It enters easily. He rolls the body onto its side and discovers it is all bloody underneath and then puts it back.

He looks up into the sky toward the top windows of the building.

INT. HALL OF BEING - TIMELESS

This great hall has a HUGE DIAGRAM on one wall that is basically the BLUEPRINTS OF CREATION

A short, balding, fussy, managerial looking angel stands in the center of the hall. This is the ANGEL PHANUEL. There is a line of angels waiting to speak to Phanuel. In turn he listens, advises, commands, questions and sends them back to work.

Raguel goes straight to the front of the line and confronts Phanuel.

With a glance from Phanuel, the other angels disperse.

PHANUEL
Raguel is it not? What need have you of me?

RAGUEL
You are Phanuel. You found the body?

PHANUEL
Ah, poor Carasel. Indeed I did. I was leaving the Silver City
to ponder a work Concept, Regret, by name- Not into the
DARKNESS, of course. No one goes out there, just out
above the city and... Poor Carasel. How could he do that to
himself? How?


RAGUEL
You think his destruction was self-inflicted?

PHANUEL
But of course. Carasel was working under me developing
a number of concepts that shall be intrinsic to the
universe when it's Name shall be Spoken. He was working
on a major project, one that I myself, or even Zephkiel
would normally handle. But he's done such sterling
work. His last project was so remarkable; a trivial emotion
that he and Saraquael elevated into... But that is
unimportant as it was this project that forced him into non-being.


RAGUEL
What was this project?

PHANUEL
I'm not sure I ought to tell you. All new concepts
are highly sensitive until their Names are Spoken.


Suddenly Raguel's ASPECT arises and he becomes larger and more commanding.

RAGUEL
I am Raguel, who is the Vengeance of the Lord.
I serve the Name directly. My questions are to be answered.


Phanuel becomes very frightened.

PHANUEL
Carasel and his partner were researching Death. Cessation
of life. An end to physical, animated existence. But Carasel
always went too far in his work. We had a terrible time
when he designed Agitation or any of the Emotions he worked on.


RAGUEL
You think Carasel died to - research the phenomenon?

PHANUEL
Or because it intrigued him. Or because he followed it
too far. Yes. (pause) I trust that you will repeat none of
this to any unauthorized persons.


RAGUEL
What did you do when you found the body?

PHANUEL
I was scared. I did not know what to do. The Angel
Lucifer came up behind me. I told him, showed him
the body and then... His Aspect came upon him and he
communed with the Name. He burned so bright. Then he said
he must go to fetch the one whose functions embrace such
as this. You, I imagine.


Raguel is now lost in thought.

PHANUEL (CONTINUING)
I suppose I should take Death away from Carasel's
partner. Perhaps give it to Zephkiel, the senior designer. If he'll take it.


RAGUEL
Who was Carasel's partner? Would he have been
the last to see him alive?


PHANUEL
That would be Saraquael. But you'd have to
ask him. Now if you'll excuse me.


Raguel exits the Hall as the other angels line up again to speak with Phanuel.

INT. SARAQUAELS OFFICE - TIMELESS

SARAQUAEL is a youngish looking Angel working diligently in his office with papers strewn about.

Raguel enters.

RAGUEL
I've Come about Carasel.

SARAQUAEL
Carasel isn't here at this time. I expect
him to return shortly.


RAGUEL
Carasel won't be coming back. He's ceased
to exist as a spiritual entity.


SARAQUAEL
He's dead?

RAGUEL
Yes. Do you know what might have happened?

SARAQUAEL
No, I mean he's been talking about it,
but I had no idea.


RAGUEL
Slowly.

Saraquael walks to the open air window where the wind rustles his long hair. Beyond the window is THE DARKNESS.

SARAQUAEL
Carasel is... No, was. That's right isn't it? He was
always so involved. He always wanted to understand
more. It was never enough for him. Of course that
was never a problem with properties of matter, but
when we began emotions... He would get too
involved with his work. Our latest project was Death.
It's a hard one. A big one. Perhaps the biggest. It
could arguably define the Creation and the Created. If
not for Death, they'd be content to simply exist. But
with Death, their lives will have meaning - a boundary
beyond which the living can not cross.


RAGUEL
Do you think he killed himself?

SARAQUAEL
He must have.

RAGUEL
How?

Saraquael shrugs. He looks out into the DARKNESS.

RAGUEL
Did you know him well?

SARAQUAEL
As well as any of us know each other I suppose.
We saw each other here. We worked side by side.


RAGUEL
Tell me about Phanuel.

SARAQUAEL
Phanuel? He's officious. Doesn't do much - farms
the work out to others and takes all the credit.
(lowers his voice) To hear him talk you'd think Love
was all his own work. Still, he does make sure
the work gets done. Zephkiel's the real thinker of the
two senior designers. But, he never leaves his
office in the city center. Only Phanuel is allowed to see him-


RAGUEL
How about Lucifer? Tell me about him.

SARAQUAEL
The Captain of the Host? He doesn't work here.
I've seen him visit the Hall a few times, inspecting
Creation. They say he reports directly to the Name.
I've never spoken to him.


RAGUEL
Did he know Carasel?

SARAQUAEL
I doubt it. He's only been here twice as far as
I know. Though I have seen him pass by. In flight.


He motions out the window toward THE DARKNESS.

RAGUEL
Going where?

SARAQUAEL
I don't know.

RAGUEL
I may want to talk to you some more later.

SARAQUAEL
Very well. (pause) Do you know if they will
be assigning me another partner? For Death?


RAGUEL
No, I don’t.

EXT. PARK IN THE CENTER OF THE SILVER CITY - TIMELESS

There is a STREAM in this PARK and Lucifer stands watching it flow.

Raguel enters, watching him.

RAGUEL
Lucifer?

LUCIFER
Raguel. Are you making progress?

RAGUEL
Maybe. I need to ask you a
few questions? Do you mind?


LUCIFER
Not at all.

RAGUEL
How did you come upon the body?

LUCIFER
I saw Phanuel standing in the street. He looked
distressed and he showed me the dead angel. And
I fetched you.


RAGUEL
I see.

Lucifer bends down and puts his hand in the moving stream.

LUCIFER
Is that all?

RAGUEL
Not quite. What were you
doing in that part of the city?


LUCIFER
I don’t see what business that is of yours.

RAGUEL
It is my business Lucifer.
What were you doing there?


LUCIFER
I was... walking. Sometimes I just walk
and think. And try to understand.


RAGUEL
You walk on the edge of the city?

LUCIFER
(beat)
Yes.

RAGUEL
That’s all I wanted to know. For now.

LUCIFER
Who else have you spoken to?

RAGUEL
Carasel’s boss and his partner. They
both think he ended his own life.


LUCIFER
Who else are you going to talk to?

RAGUEL
Maybe everyone.

LUCIFER
Everyone?

RAGUEL
If I need to. It’s my function. I cannot rest until I
understand what happened and until the Vengeance
of the Name has been taken on whosoever
is responsible. But, I’ll tell you something I do know.


LUCIFER
What would that be?

RAGUEL
Carasel did not kill himself.

LUCIFER
How would you know that?

RAGUEL
I am Vengeance. If Carasel had died by his
own hand there would have been no call for me.
Would there?


Lucifer does not answer. Only stares at the stream.

EXT. SILVER CITY - TIMELESS

A huge beautiful SILVER CITY. Seen from above. It’s perfectly circular and beyond the circle is THE DARKNESS.

Raguel is making his way to the exact center.

INT. ZEPHKIEL’S CELL - TIMELESS

Raguel enters the large cell through the open air window.

(ZEPHKIEL) is seated in a chair head on fist, eyes closed. He is as radiant as any other Angel, but very old looking. Also, he has NO WINGS.

Zephkiel’s eyes open.

ZEPHKIEL
Welcome Raguel.

RAGUEL
You are Zephkiel?

ZEPHKIEL
Indeed. You’re staring, Raguel. I have no wings,
it’s true, but then my function does not call for me to
leave this cell. Phanuel reports to me with problems.
I think about them and occasionally make myself useful
by making some small suggestions. That is my
function, just as yours is Vengeance.


RAGUEL
Yes.

ZEPHKIEL
You are here about the death of the Angel Carasel.

RAGUEL
Yes.

ZEPHKIEL
I did not kill him.

RAGUEL
Do you know who did?

ZEPHKIEL
That is your function, is it not?

RAGUEL
Yes.

ZEPHKIEL
What do you want to know?

RAGUEL
Do you know what Lucifer was doing in that
part of the city before the body was found?


ZEPHKIEL
I can hazard a guess.

RAGUEL
Yes?

ZEPHKIEL
He was walking in the DARK.

Understanding is dawning on Raguel and he nods his head.

RAGUEL
I see. Then I suppose I have only one last
question for you; What can you tell me about LOVE.


INT. SARAQUAELS OFFICE - TIMELESS

Saraquael has a small mannequin of a wingless Angel inside of a rectangular box.

Again Raguel enters through the window.

SARAQUAEL
Oh, it’s you. Hello. Say, if you were to die do
you think you’d want to be placed inside a box and
put into the earth or perhaps set on fire and burned
to ashes?


RAGUEL
I don’t know.

SARAQUAEL
Neither do I. There’s just so much to do Raguel.
And we only get one chance at it you know. There’s
only going to be one Universe. I wish I understood why this
is all so important to Him.


RAGUEL
Do you know where Zephkiel’s cell is?

SARAQUAEL
Yes. I mean I’ve never been there, but
I know where it is.


RAGUEL
Good. Go there. He’ll be expecting you and
I’ll meet you there.


SARAQUAEL
I have work to do. I can’t just-

Raguel’s ASPECT comes upon him and he becomes frightening to behold.

RAGUEL
You will be there. Go now!

Saraquael backs away from Raguel, toward the window without a word and leaps, flapping his wings.

Raguel opens the door and steps into the HALL.

INT. HALL OF BEING - CONTINUOUS

He FLOATS down past the enormous diagram of Creation to land beside Phanuel who is in discussion with another Angel (ANGEL #1) . Angel #1 hands Phanuel a paper and Phanuel gazes at it.

PHANUEL
So that’s Green? It’s not exactly how I’d imagined
it, but. Hmm. Leave it with me and I’ll get back to you.


Phanuel notices Raguel and turns to him brusquely.

PHANUEL
Yes?

RAGUEL
I have to talk to you?

PHANUEL
Mm? Well make it quick. I have much work to do.
If this is about Carasel’s death I told you all I know about it.


RAGUEL
This IS about Carasel’s death. And you will speak
to me. In Zephkiel’s cell. Go now and I will meet you there.


Phanuel seems about to say something, but thinks better of it, nods, and exits the HALL.

Angel #1 stands gape mouthed, staring at Raguel, who turns to him.

RAGUEL
Tell me something.

ANGEL #1
If I can, sir.

Raguel motions toward the DIAGRAM.

RAGUEL
What’s it for?

ANGEL #1
For? Why, it’s the Universe.

RAGUEL
I know what it’s called, but
what purpose will it serve?


ANGEL #1
It is part of THE PLAN. The NAME wishes it and it’s our
function to bring it into existence according to HIS wishes.
I’m sure HE knows it’s function, but HE has not revealed it to me.


RAGUEL
Yes, I see.

EXT. SKY ABOVE THE SILVER CITY - TIMELESS

Lucifer floats in the air watching a BATTALION of angels maneuver before him.

Raguel hovers beside him.

LUCIFER
Raguel. Have you solved the mystery?

RAGUEL
I believe so. Will you accompany me to Zephkiel’s cell?
There are others waiting and I will explain everything there.


LUCIFER
Certainly. Azazel!

An Angel from the formation (AZAZEL) breaks away and comes toward Lucifer.

LUCIFER
Please take over for me and continue drilling.
They still have much to perfect.


Without waiting, Lucifer heads away with Raguel.

RAGUEL
What are you training them for?

LUCIFER
War.

RAGUEL
With whom?

LUCIFER
How do you mean?

RAGUEL
Who are they going to fight? Who else is there?

LUCIFER
I do not know. But HE has NAMED us to be HIS
army and we will be perfect. For HIM. The NAME
is infallible and all-just and all-wise, Raguel.
It can not be otherwise. No matter what they-


RAGUEL
What‘s that?

LUCIFER
No matter what.

RAGUEL
Ah.

CUT TO:

INT. ZEPHKIEL’S CELL - CONTINUOUS

Everyone has gathered in the large room. All standing except for Zephkiel.

RAGUEL
I am the Vengeance of the Name. The arm of the Lord.
I am Raguel. The Angel Carasel is dead. It was given to
me to find out why he died and who killed him. This
I have done. Now, the Angel Carasel was a designer
in the Hall of Being. He was very good, or so I am told...
Lucifer, tell me what you were doing before you came upon
Phanuel, and the body.


LUCIFER
I told you already. I was walking.

RAGUEL
Where were you walking?

LUCIFER
I do not see what business that is of yours.

RAGUEL
Tell me.

LUCIFER
Very well. I was walking in the DARK. I have been
walking in the DARKNESS for some time now. It helps me
gain perspective of the City, being outside of it.


RAGUEL
And what do you do in the DARK, Lucifer?

LUCIFER
I walk. And... There are voices in the DARK. I listen to
the voices. They promise me things, ask me questions,
whisper, and plead. And I ignore them. I steel myself and I
gaze at the City. It is the only way I have of testing myself.
I am Captain of the Host; I am first among Angels and I must
prove myself.


RAGUEL
Why did you not tell me this before?

LUCIFER
Because I am the only Angel who walks in the DARK.
Because I do not want others to walk in the DARK.
I am strong enough to challenge the voices. Others may
not be so strong. Others may stumble, or fall. And
I do not want this.


RAGUEL
Thank you Lucifer. Phanuel, how long have you
been taking credit for Carasel’s work?


Phanuel opens his mouth, but says nothing.

RAGUEL
Well?

PHANUEL
I... I would not take credit for another’s work.

RAGUEL
But you did take credit for Love.

PHANUEL
Yes I did.

RAGUEL
Please explain to us all what Love is.

Phanuel is uncomfortable. He speaks as if reciting a mathematical equation.

PHANUEL
It’s a feeling of deep affection and attraction to another
being, often combined with passion or desire- a need
to be with another. The feelings we have for the Name,
that is Love... Amongst other things. We are... We
are very proud of it.


RAGUEL
Zephkiel, when Phanuel passed the details of
Love on to you for approval, who did he tell you was
responsible for it?


ZEPHKIEL
He told me it was his project.

RAGUEL
Thank you. Now Saraquael, whose is Love?

SARAQUAEL
Mine. Mine and Carasel’s.
We worked on it together.


RAGUEL
You knew Phanuel was claiming credit for it?

SARAQUAEL
... Yes.

RAGUEL
And you permitted this?

SARAQUAEL
He promised he would give us a great project of
our own and if we said nothing we would have many
great projects. And he was true to his word.
He gave us Death.


RAGUEL
(to Phanuel)
Well?

PHANUEL
It is true that I claimed Love as mine.
But it was actually Carasel’s. And Saraquael’s.


Raguel walks to the window and looks out at the City.

RAGUEL
Carasel was a remarkable designer. If he had
one failing it was that he threw himself too
deeply into his work. Saraquael? While working
on Love, who did Carasel love? Who was his lover?


SARAQUAEL
I was.

Raguel turns around.

RAGUEL
Do you want to tell me about it?

SARAQUAEL
No (pause) But, I suppose I must. It was his idea
to become lovers. We would go back to his cell
whenever we could snatch the time. There we touched
each other, held each other, whispered endearments and
protestations of eternal devotion. His welfare mattered
more to me then my own. When I was alone I would
repeat his name and think of nothing but him. When
I was with him... Nothing else mattered.


Raguel crosses the room to him.

RAGUEL
Then why did you kill him?

SARAQUAEL
Because he would no longer love me. When we began
to work on Death... He lost interest. He was no
longer mine. He belonged to Death. I could not bear
his presence. I could not endure to have him near
me and know that he felt nothing. I thought... I hoped...
That if he was gone, then I would no longer care for him...
That the pain would stop. So, I killed him. I stabbed
him and I threw his body from out our window in
the Hall of Being. But the pain has not stopped.


Upset, Saraquael looks down at the floor, but Raguel lifts his chin with his hand.

SARAQUAEL
Now what?

Raguel’s ASPECT comes upon him once more and he embraces Saraquael almost like a mother comforting a tiny child. He glows fiercely like fire and this fire begins to spread through his body into Saraquael’s.

It’s clear that the fiery light is painful to Saraquael and it begins to burn away at him until there is nothing left at all.

Lucifer and Phanuel avert their eyes, though it’s unclear if it is because of the blinding light or the horror of the spectacle.

Only Zephkiel watches with deep sadness.

When the light fades there is no trace of Saraquael. Raguel turns back to the others.

RAGUEL
You have seen the Vengeance of the
Lord. Let it act as a warning to you both.


PHANUEL
It has. Oh, it has. I... I will be on my way, sir.
I will return to my appointed post. If that is all right
with you?


RAGUEL
Go.

Phanuel practically runs for the open window and stumbling, exits.

Lucifer crosses to where Saraquael had stood and kneels down there, bowing his head, inspecting the floor.

LUCIFER
That was not right. That was not just.

Lucifer is crying.

RAGUEL
It is justice. He killed another and was killed
in his turn. You called me to my function and I
performed it.


LUCIFER
But... He Loved. He should have been forgiven.
He should have been helped. He should not have been
destroyed like that. That was wrong.


RAGUEL
It is HIS will.

LUCIFER
Then perhaps HIS will is unjust. Perhaps the
voices in the Darkness speak truly, after all. How
can this be right?


RAGUEL
It is right. It is HIS will.

LUCIFER
No. I must think on this. I will go now.

And Lucifer walks to the window and steps into the sky.

ZEPHKIEL
You have performed your function well, Raguel.
Shouldn’t you return to your cell and await your next call.


Raguel is about to leave, but then he kneels just as Lucifer did and lowers his head.

RAGUEL
No, Lord. Not yet.

ZEPHKIEL
Get up. It’s not fitting for one Angel
to act this way to another. Get up!


RAGUEL
Father, you are no Angel.

Zephkiel says nothing and Raguel continues.

RAGUEL
Father, I was charged to find out who was
responsible for Carasel’s death and I do know.


ZEPHKIEL
You have taken your Vengeance, Raguel.

RAGUEL
Your Vengeance, Lord.

ZEPHKIEL
Ah, Raguel. The problem with creating things is
that they perform so much better then one ever
plans. Shall I ask how you recognized me?


RAGUEL
I’m not certain, Lord. You have no wings. You sit
at the Center, supervising Creation directly. When I
destroyed Saraquael, you did not look away. You
know too many things... You... As you say, you
created me well. But I only just understood when Lucifer left.


ZEPHKIEL
Understood what, child?

RAGUEL
Who killed Carasel. Or at least,
who was pulling the strings.


ZEPHKIEL
Why should anyone have ‘pulled strings’, Raguel?

RAGUEL
Because nothing occurs without reason and all
the reasons are yours. You set Saraquael up. Yes, he
killed Carasel, but he did it so that I could destroy him.


ZEPHKIEL
And were you wrong to destroy him?

RAGUEL
It was my function. But I do not think it was just.
I think it was needed that I destroy Saraquael, in
order to demonstrate to Lucifer the Injustice of the Lord.


ZEPHKIEL
And whatever reason would I have for doing that?

RAGUEL
I do not know. I do not understand that anymore then
I understand why you created The DARKNESS and
the voices within it. But you did. You caused all of this to occur.


ZEPHKIEL
Yes, I did. Lucifer must brood on the unfairness of
Saraquael’s destruction. And that - amongst other things - will
precipitate him into certain actions. Poor sweet Lucifer.
His way will be the hardest of all my children, for there
is a part he must play in the drama that is to unfold,
and it is a grand role.


RAGUEL
I must return to my cell. My function is fulfilled, but...

ZEPHKIEL
Yes, Raguel?

RAGUEL
I feel... Tarnished. Perhaps it is true that Your Will
is always good, but sometimes you leave blood on
your instruments.


ZEPHKIEL
If you wish Raguel, you may forget all that has
happened this day. However, whether you do or not,
you will not be able to speak about this with any other Angel.


RAGUEL
I will remember.

ZEPHKIEL
It is your choice. But sometimes you will
find it easier by far not to remember. Now
if you don’t mind, I have much work to get on with.


Raguel bows low and exits through the window, leaving Zephkiel alone.

He rests his head on his fist and closes his eyes.

INT. RAGUEL’S CELL - TIMELESS

The door to the empty frosted cell opens and Raguel walks in. He turns around to face the door as it closes and then becomes

COMPLETELY IMMOBILE.

CLOSE UP:

RAGUEL’S FACE

As a single tear rolls down his cheek.

THE END

If you enjoyed this story PLEASE subscribe to my blog.
Comments are also MOST WELCOME

No comments:

Post a Comment